ROYALS

Homicide cop: ‘Princess Diana death case must be reopened’

The shocking discovery he made after tracking down Le Van Than.
Loading the player...

Following the 22nd anniversary of Princess Diana‘s death, homicide detective Colin McLaren has called for the case to be reopened.

The co-author of the book Diana: Case Solved told Us Weekly of several shocking discoveries he made after tracking down Le Van Than (the man who drove the white Fiat Uno that reportedly clipped Diana’s car before the fatal Paris crash).

McLaren told the publication that he was moved to travel to Paris and investigate the incident after witnessing the French police’s failure to preserve the crime scene.

WATCH: Chilling footage emerges of scared Princess Diana’s ‘tense’ interview with Prince Charles

Upon visiting the Cours Albert crime scene, the host of the upcoming podcast Fatal Voyage: Diana Case Closed said the “forensic scars lit up like a Christmas tree.” 

“On the roadway were bright black skid marks, a signature that two cars had been involved. Up high, on the capping of a retaining wall, was more black tire residue, proving that Diana’s car was airborne, for a time. And on it went, one forensic fact after another — this was no ordinary car accident. An unknown play of two or more cars had been involved, and the French cops seemed to have missed it all.”

Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed, bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones and driver Henri Paul, in their Mercedes-Benz S280, shortly before the fatal car crash which killed Diana, Fayed and Paul in Paris in 1997.
Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed, bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones and driver Henri Paul, in their Mercedes-Benz S280, shortly before the fatal car crash in Paris, 1997. (Credit: Getty)

Furthermore, Mclaren said that the expert who examined Le Van Than’s car failed to inspect the Fiat for damage along the left side of his car.

“To my utter disbelief, I was told the expert failed to properly inspect the Fiat for damage along the left side of his car. Damage that I knew was there.”

The homicide cop joined investigative journalist Dylan Howard in Paris, where they spoke with Le Van Than. 

According to the homicide detective, the man had left the scene of the car crash out of fear of imprisonment.

WATCH: Princess Diana’s death wasn’t an accident’ says a couple who witnessed the car crash

Us Weekly reported that McLaren’s call for the inquest to be reopened is based on the same claim from Michael Cole, a former spokesman for Mohamed Al-Fayed – whose playboy billionaire son, Dodi Al-Fayed, tragically died in the fiery crash with Diana and driver Henri Paul on that fateful night inside the Pont de l’Alma tunnel.

The publication wrote that Cole had told McLaren and Howard the following: 

“As a matter of urgency, this information should be conveyed to an officer of the court. If it is reported to the French police or the British police, then there will be the temptation, or the possibility anyway, that somehow the information will be buried. … But it certainly is prima facie cause for a new thoroughgoing look at what went on, because if this was going on, what else was going on?”

Diana: Case Solved touts itself as “the definitive account and evidence that proves what really happened” on August 31, 1997, and will be released on September 17.

Related stories