Parenting

Happy news for mum whose son died choking on bouncy ball

What a blessing.

Anna Davis, the Tasmanian mother who tragically lost her three-year-old son Alby Fox in a chocking accident, is about to welcome another baby.

The mother, who shares children Sage Mila Wren, Alby Fox and Acre Roo, with her partner, is pregnant with her fourth child. 

The new baby’s arrival comes just four months after she said goodbye to her middle child. 

Alby tragically passed away in his mother’s arms after a bouncy ball go trapped in his windpipe at the family’s home in Wynyard, Tas. 

In an emotional post to her business’ Instagram, the.small.folk, Anna has shared how she’s feeling ahead of her new baby’s arrival.

While paramedics fought to bring our precious Alby back from the heavens, I knelt by his side, with his hand clutched in my own, as our unborn babe kicked inside my womb,’ she continued. 

‘And in that moment, the overwhelming contrast of life and death reared its ugly beauty in a way I never conceived possible.

‘The last few days have been spent swimming through a tidal wave of grief, grappling with the almost incomprehensible thoughts of one sweet life slipping through our fingers only four months ago, while physically and mentally preparing to guide our next little starling into the universe.

Sometimes this grief is raw and unbridled and takes us all by surprise. And all that we can do is surrender, allow our tears to cleanse the fire, and then set it free 💫’

Alby Davis passed away after playing with the ball that had arrived earlier that morning in a package filled with party favours for his upcoming birthday. 

‘The ball became stuck in his windpipe, preventing his ability to breathe, and in a matter of seconds, despite his mama’s frantic attempts to save him, he passed away in her arms,’ a family friend wrote on a GoFundMe page set up for the devastated family.

The ball, just bigger than a 50-cent piece, became stuck in his windpipe, preventing his ability to breathe.

His mother was just metres away when it happened and gave him CPR for 16 minutes before paramedics arrived. Despite all of their best efforts, he tragically passed away in their arms.

At the time, Anna posted an emotional tribute to her son on Instagram.

‘Yesterday afternoon, our beautiful, beautiful Alby, our darling baby boy, grew wings and flew from this earth,’ she posted to Instagram.

‘Minutes pass like hours and the gaping hole in our lives and hearts is completely incomprehensible. We adore you beyond belief, our sweet little fox. Forever three, forever free.’

Related stories