Health & Wellbeing

Teen ‘killed by toxic shock from tampon’ on school trip

16-year-old student Sara Manitoski was found lifeless in bed

A teenager died on a school trip after suffering toxic shock syndrome suspected to have been caused by a tampon.

16-year-old student Sara Manitoski was found lifeless in bed in March 2017 on a trip to Hornby Island, off Vancouver Island.

Friends of the blonde teen thought she was asleep, according to a report by the BC Coroners Service, CTV News reported.

Pictured: Teen ‘killed by tampon’ on school trip
Sara Manitoski died on a school trip (Credit: Facebook)

They at first thought she was sleeping in but became concerned when she wasn’t roused by her alarm clock. 

The coroner’s report found a strain of staphylococcus aureus on a tampon along with other symptoms of toxic shock – a form of acute septicaemia which is typically caused by bacterial infection from a retained tampon or IUD.

‘We know there is an association. And again, it’s very rare,” Island Health Medical Health Officer Dee Hoyano told CTV Vancouver Island.

Sara Manitoski
(Credit: Facebook)

‘Certainly we know a person needs to have this particular bacteria to get sick, and then there may be something with tampon use, maybe prolonged tampon use, that puts that risk higher for developing a more widespread infection.’

While tampons are not the only causes of toxic shock symptom, experts have warned it is a possibility women should be mindful of.

Teen ‘killed by tampon’ on school trip
(Credit: Getty)

In 2012, UK model Lauren Wasser was found face down on the floor of her apartment with a fever, kidney failure, and suffering a heart attack.

The then-24-year-old was on her period and had just changed her tampon when she began to feel unwell while texting in bed.

‘Just flu-like symptoms, I was feeling nauseous and my head was pounding,’ Lauren told Style Like U.

Teen ‘killed by tampon’ on school trip
Model Laura Wasser lost her leg after suffering from toxic shock syndrome (Credit: Instagram/Laura Wasser)

The fever progressed to a point where the model’s kidneys were failing.

‘Thank god there was an infectious disease doctor there [at the hospital] because as soon as they found me I was plummeting so bad they couldn’t understand why a healthy, young 24 year old like me was dying,’ Lauren said.

She was later told she needed to have her leg amputated due to the seriousness of her condition.

Now, Lauren campaigns for more research into the use of tampons and their possible dangers.

Symptoms of toxic shock syndrome

fever

vomiting

diarrhoea

a skin rash that looks like sunburn

peeling patches of skin on the feet and hands

muscular aches

headaches

a sore throat

red eyes

confusion

a drop in blood pressure

joint pains

sensitivity to light

kidney failure

collapse

Source: Better Health Channel

Related stories