Routine is the key for glowing skin at any age. Watch this video and start your morning off the right way and your skin will love you for it, longterm.
Celebrity makeup artist Sarah Tammer (the go-to makeup artist of Aussie LUMA Beauty founder and model Jess Hart) says she understands our pain when it comes to trying to hide dark circles.
1. Why does concealer make it worse? What am I doing wrong?
I have the same problem! As I’ve gotten older concealer just seems to ‘sit’ on my fine lines and makes certain areas look crepey-er, so I have stopped using a lot of concealers to avoid this problem. Often people will use the wrong shade of concealer or the formula is too thick, so I would recommend sticking to a light, oil-free formula and use hydrating eye creams prior to application.
2. And why do I have them?
In my experience as a makeup artist I have found that dark circles are often caused by leading a toxic lifestyle; not having enough sleep, eating too much sugar and drinking too much alcohol and caffeine. Further to that some people are more genetically pre-disposed to dark circles than others and often they can be linked to the functioning of certain body parts such as the kidneys and liver.
3. How do I choose the right concealer?
Look for a light, oil-free formula and choose a shade that matches your skin tone or is one or two shades lighter. Also, look for yellow and orange-based concealers as they will neutralize blue tones.
4. Some of the common mistakes Sarah sees all the time. Are you making them too?
Using too much concealer. If you lather on the concealer it will sit in the cracks and draw attention to the fine lines in that area.
Using the wrong texture and shade of concealer.
Dusting too much powder on the eye area can intensify the look of dark circles and fine lines and make the area look dry.
5. Any natural ways of reducing the look?
Try good old fashioned cold cucumbers, and make sure you hydrate from within and keep the eye area well moisturised.
Sarah slathers on LUMA The Balm Multipurpose, $14.95, lumabeauty.com before bed in addition to using an eye cream for added hydration
Concealers I tell my friends about:
1. Benefit Boi-ing Hydrating Concealer, $34, benefitcosmetics.com/au , this hydrates while it gives sheer coverage and it doesn’t sit in my wrinkles.
2. Rimmel London Wake Me Up Anti-Fatigue Concealer, $14.95, au.rimmellondon.com , this can be found in the supermarket and in many a professional makeup artists beauty bag!
3. Natio Love Being You Colour Collection - Radiant Under Eye Concealer, $17.95, natio.com.au , Brights and lightens with easy, pen-like precision.