Whether it’s dealing with a rushed morning and no time to wash your hair or flat, lifeless locks at any time during the day, dry shampoo is the answer. But be careful.
The biggest mistake we make when using dry shampoo - and it’s very easy to do - is using your fingers afterwards to touch your roots. Hands are oily, even if they don’t feel it, and those oils will transfer back onto your hair undoing what you are trying to correct in the first place. So, after you’ve sprayed, let it sit for a minute or two to fully absorb and then blend it with the rest of your hair but only with a boar bristle brush.
Brushworx Natural Woodgrain Boar Bristle Cushion Brush, $21.95, i-glamour.com
Other common mistakes include:
- Using it on damp hair. If hair is even a bit damp, like after a shower, it is going to clump so make sure you take the time to completely dry all strands before you use it.
- Spraying too close to the roots. Hold your arm outright and spray at least 15cm from roots to minimise any white powder after-effect.
- Thinking it can ONLY be used on dirty hair. It also works on fresh, clean locks to give texture, volume and hold without the need for hairspray.
5 of the Best:
1. Best for dark hair: Batiste Dry Shampoo – Coloured Deep & Dark, Medium & Brunette, $12.95 each. www.batistehair.com.au
Why we love: The choice of two brunette shades so you can match perfectly.
2. Best for loose powder: Lush No Drought dry shampoo, $13.95, lush.com.au
Why we love: The uplifting scent of lemon, grapefruit and lime and for value, a little goes a long way.
3. Best all-rounder: Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk, $14.95 , klorane.com.au
Why we love: It’s the original and still the best. Launched in France in 1971 for new mums in hospital who had just given birth, one is sold every 10 seconds worldwide.
4. Best natural: A’Kin Dry Shampoo, $14.95, akin.com.au
Why we love: Vegan and cruelty-free for a brand that listens to its customers hair and ethical concerns
5. Best luxe: muk Head muk Dry Shampoo, $19.95, muk.com.au
Why we love: It’s apple-scented, sulphate and paraben-free formula that can be used on all hair types.