4 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup milk
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 x 2cm - thick slices white bread, halved diagonally
60 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 tsp vegetable oil
fresh strawberries, sliced, to serve
½ cup Nutella or other chocolate-hazelnut spread
¼ cup milk
- Place eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour into a large shallow dish.
- Place four bread triangles into egg mixture. Stand for 30 seconds. Turn and repeat until soaked. Drain off excess. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining bread triangles.
- Cook French toast in three batches. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter with 1 tsp of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until butter starts to foam. Add four bread triangles. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn over. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove.
- Wipe pan clean with absorbent kitchen paper. Repeat process twice with remaining butter, oil and bread.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Combine Nutella and milk in a small saucepan. Whisk over a medium to low heat until combined and warm.
- Serve French toast with sauce and strawberries.