Coconut and Fruit French Toast with Maple Syrup
*Serves 6 *Prep 25 mins *Cook 15 mins
- 4 eggs
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 6 slices thick-cut cafe raisin bread
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sugar free maple syrup, fresh blueberries and sugar free vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Toasted coconut flakes, to decorate
- Grease and line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and coconut milk in a large jug. Pour into a large, shallow dish. Cut raisin bread slices diagonally in half.
- In two batches, place bread into the egg mixture. Stand for 2 minutes, then turn slices over and repeat until soaked. Remove from mixture, allowing excess egg mixture to drain away.
- Place bread slices, about 4cm apart on the prepared oven trays. Sprinkle tops with the cinnamon.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C), swapping the trays halfway through cooking time, for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve French toast warm with maple syrup, blueberries and ice-cream. Sprinkle with coconut.
We used cafe-style raisin bread available in most major supermarkets in the bread section. To toast coconut flakes, sprinkle over an oven tray. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden. Cool.