1 bottle white vinegar to clean
1 tsp cream of tartar
330 g caster sugar
3 Tbsp cornflour
3 tsp white vinegar
1 cup passionfruit pulp
½ cup dessert wine
1 Tbsp arrowroot
¼ cup water
2 cups thickened cream
Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
½ cup pure icing sugar, sifted
2 mangoes, peeled, sliced
2 cups fresh mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 3 oven trays with baking paper. Clean bowl and whisk of an electric mixer with white vinegar and a piece of kitchen paper. Put eggwhites and cream of tartar in bowl and beat on medium, using whisk attachment, for 2 minutes or until soft peaks form. With motor running, add caster sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, continuing to whisk until a stiff and glossy meringue forms. Mix in cornflour and beat for 1 minute.
- Fold vinegar into meringue, then divide between prepared trays. Spread into 22cm discs, then bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 120°C and bake for 1½ hours or until meringue is crisp. Open oven door slightly and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine passionfruit pulp and wine in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to low. Mix arrowroot with water, then whisk into passionfruit and continue simmering until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool. Whip cream, vanilla seeds and icing sugar until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream onto each meringue disc, then decorate each disc with sliced mango and mixed berries.
- Spoon over passionfruit sauce.
- Carefully stack meringue discs on top of each other and serve.