150 g unsalted butter, melted
½ cup caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
670 g can pitted cherries
- Grease and line an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges.
- Place the melted butter in a large bowl with caster sugar and an egg. Stir in the self-raising flour to form a dough. Press two-thirds over base of pan.
- Drain cherries. Dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Arrange over dough in pan. Crumble remaining dough over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
- Serve warm with custard (optional).