1 ½ kg eggplant, cut into 5mm-thick rounds
olive oil spray
250 g lean lamb mince
250 g Swiss brown mushrooms, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 handful chopped continental parsley
1 tbsp dried oregano
¾ cup dry red wine
2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp cornflour
300 g Greek-style natural yoghurt
50 g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (420°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Spray the eggplant slices with olive oil on both sides, then place the slices on the baking trays in a single layer, and bake for 20-25 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven, then lower the temperature to 180°C (350° F).
- Meanwhile, heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray the pan with a coating of olive oil spray, then cook the lamb and mushrooms, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another spray of olive oil to the pan then add onion, carrot, celery and capsicum and sauté until softened (about 5 minutes). Adding garlic for the last minute of sautéing. Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes while stirring, then add cinnamon, parsley, oregano, red wine and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, add the mushrooms and mince, season to taste and simmer for 30 minutes.
- To begin layering your moussaka, spread a ladleful of the mince mixture on the bottom of a 25cm deep square baking dish, then top with a single layer of eggplant. Add a little more of the mince mixture, then another layer of eggplant. Repeat with remaining mince and eggplant.
- For the topping, combine all ingredients together in a bowl, then pour over the top of the moussaka. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the moussaka is golden on top and bubbling at the edges. Remove and set aside for 10 minutes to cool, then serve.