Following the controversy over Kyle Sandilands’ offensive comments on air, the shock jock has reportedly become the target of death threats.
The Daily Telegraph revealed that the 48-year-old had contacted NSW Police after receiving a number of death threats over social media, email and mobile phone.
A source close to the radio host told the publication that Kyle has ‘absolutely’ been getting death threats.
‘That is nothing new however. To be honest, if Kyle got a dollar for every death threat he received, he would be able to buy Tasmania. It has been something that has been going on forever. To be fair, this past week has been very busy though,’ they added.
On Friday, Kyle issued an apology through a statement to The Daily Telegraph.
‘I’m sorry if I offended anyone with my comments,’ Sandilands said. ‘Everyone is entitled to their own religious beliefs and I’m fully supportive of that right’
KIIS owner Australian Radio Network (ARN) also apologised, saying:
‘We echo Kyle’s statement and unreservedly apologize for any offence that may have been caused. Last week when this content ran, we immediately recognised that it wasn’t appropriate for distribution and it was removed immediately.’
On Monday, Christian and Muslim protesters stood outside KIIS FM’s studio in Ryde demanding a more sincere apology from Kyle.