Q: How to make sugar syrup?
A: Sugar syrup is simple and easy to make, you simply boil equal parts water and sugar together and once cooled pour it over a cooled cake. It’s a great way to add moisture to cakes and helps dry cakes ooze with flavour.
What is sugar syrup and how does it benefit cake?
Sugar syrup is a great recipe to have in your repertoire because it is a great recipe to know when you’re in a bit of a pickle. Cake too dry? Sugar syrup. Over-baked cake? Sugar syrup.
How to make sugar syrup
What you’ll need:
- Equal parts water
- Equal parts caster sugar (white sugar will work too)
What to do:
1. Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and place on medium to high heat.
2. Stir the sugar until it has dissolved and bring to the boil.
3. Allow syrup to cool before using.
When it comes to using your sugar syrup there are a couple of different techniques:
1. Using a pastry brush, brush the syrup onto the cake
2. Using a spray bottle, coat each layer of the cake
3. Using a skewer poke small holes into the cake, pour sugar syrup over and allow to sink in.
Sugar syrup vs Simple syrup?
There is no difference between sugar syrup and simple syrup. You will see simple on the recipe ingredients for cocktails and whilst it is normally made from white sugar the concept is the same.
Cooking with sugar syrup
Here are a few of our favourite syrup cakes.
Lemon syrup cake
Quick, simple and downright delicious. Baby Mac's lemon syrup cake ticks all the boxes – it makes a glorious afternoon tea treat, and keeps the kids busy! Get the full recipe.
Semolina Cake with Orange Honey Syrup
The always in-season orange means that you can enjoy this semolina honey cake all year round. Get the full recipe.
Lime and coconut syrup cake
Super simple to make and just as easy to
wolf down, this is your new go-to cake! Get the full recipe.
Coffee Cinnamon Syrup Cake
Calling all coffee lovers! You're going to LOVE this delicious cake. Get the full recipe.