Strawberry and vanilla pie – need we say more?! For more healthy and easy recipes to plan your perfect Christmas feast pick up your copy of New Idea’s Sugar-Free Christmas. Available for just $9.99 at selected newsagents and supermarkets, or online.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 250g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tblsps Natvia
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼-¹∕³ cup cold water
- No-added-sugar vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 3 x 250g punnets strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tblsps Natvia
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- Grease a 25cm round loose-base flan tin (2.5cm deep) Place on an oven tray.
- To make pastry, place flour, butter and Natvia in a food processor. Process until mixture forms large crumbs. Add yolk. Process until combined. With motor operating, add enough water until mixture forms a dough. Knead lightly. Divide in half. Shape into flat discs. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one pastry disc between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to line prepared tin. Lift into tin. Trim edge. Press pastry against side of tin to extend 5mm above edge. Line with baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until base is dry. Cool.
- Meanwhile, make filling. Combine strawberries, Natvia rind, juice, vanilla and 2 tblsp of the water in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over a medium to low heat for about 5 minutes, or until strawberries start to soften. Stir in cornflour blended with remaining water. Simmer until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Pour filling into pastry base.
- Roll out remaining pastry disc between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 7cm star-shaped cutter, cut out 17 shapes. Arrange 16 stars, slightly overlapping, around edge of tin. Place remaining star in the centre.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Stand in tin for about 1 hour.
- Serve warm or cold pie with vanilla ice-cream.