This sweet sensation is to die for! For more simple festive fare pick up a copy of New Idea’s Easy Christmas, for only $9.99 today! Available at selected newsagents and supermarkets, or online.
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 2 tsps cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 600ml tub thickened cream
- 275g jar jellied cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup icing sugar mixture
- 2 tblsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 500g fresh cherries, pitted, halved
Trace a 20cm circle onto a sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down on a greased, large oven tray.
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until frothy. With motor operating, gradually add sugar, one tblsp at a time, beating well after each addition, until sugar is dissolved. Beat for a further 5 minutes, or until thick and glossy. Beat in cornflour and vinegar until just combined.
3. Spoon into middle of circle on prepared tray. Gently spread to edge.
4. Cook in a very slow oven (100C) for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven. Cool pavlova in oven with door ajar for 2 hours. Remove. Cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make sauce. Combine cranberry sauce, ¹⁄³ cup water, sugar, juice and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until combined. Bring to boil. Remove. Stir in cherries. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until cold.
6. To serve, beat cream in clean, large bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Dollop over top of pavlova. Spoon over half the sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.