100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp (intl) milk
1½ cups plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Icing sugar mixture, to dust
- Grease and line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until combined. Add milk and combined sifted flour, powder and soda. Beat on a low speed until just combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using your hands, bring mixture together into a ball. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper until 1cm thick.
- Using a 5½cm round cutter dipped in flour, cut out 18 shapes from dough, re-rolling dough scraps once. Place rounds about 2cm apart on prepared trays.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool on trays.
- Serve biscuits dusted with sifted icing sugar.