A mother of three is warning others about 'the dangers of using a pressure cooker.’
Cassie Hodges and her partner Mark were making dinner for their family last week when their pressure cooker exploded, causing burns to the mum's arms, chest and stomach.
Having left it too late to slow cook their soup, Mark ‘chucked it in the pressure cooker and selected the "soup" option,' Hodges explained to Facebook group On the grapevine - Goulburn.
Minutes after Hodges put her 12-week-old son in the living room with his two older siblings, Mark ‘let the pressure release valve off’. Hodges says she 'heard a click' and knew something was wrong.
‘The lid flew off and the entire contents hit me like as if someone chucked a bucket of water at me, the noise of it was a loud sizzle,’ she wrote.
Hodges was taken to the Sydney burns unit at Concord Hospital, with ‘severe burns to majority of both my arms my chest and my stomach.’
The mother of three had all of the ‘dead, burnt skin removed by scraping with a rough towel and biobrane (a pig skin/fat tissue) applied immediately.’
Now, the mum is sharing her story to warn others of the dangers of using a pressure cooker.
‘I want the one I used recalled and I want people to be aware of the dangers,' she said. ‘We did nothing wrong the machine unlocked prematurely, it should stay locked and unable to be opened until the pressure is all gone.'
She added, ‘Two minutes earlier I was holding my son, my poor son could have been hurt.
‘We are lucky! I want to make sure this never happens to anyone ever again.’