According to Gardeningknowhow.com, Lily of the valley is known as a highly poisonous woodland flowering plant, and its ingestion can be deadly.
“Few spring flowers are as charming as fragrant lily of the valley,” wrote Bonnie L. Grant (a Certified Urban Agriculturist).
“However, behind their cute exterior and pleasant scent lies a potential villain.
“Lily of the valley toxicity makes it unsafe to have around children and pets.
“The plant is so dangerous that ingestion could result in a trip to the emergency room, or in rare cases death.”
Meghan's bridesmaids consisted of Princess Charlotte, who was three at the time, Florence van Cutsem, also aged three in May 2018, Remi Litt, Rylan Litt, Ivy Mulroney and Zalie Warren, who was aged just two at the time.
With the bridesmaids being so young, placing this type of flower on their heads was a potentially dangerous decision.
WATCH: Aussie 5-year-old wins Princess Charlotte lookalike competition
Yet the flowers remain dangerous for children.
“Sometimes the smallest organisms pack the biggest wallop. This is the case with lily of the valley,” added Grant.
“Is lily of the valley poisonous? All parts of the plant are considered potentially toxic.
“The plant contains over 30 cardiac glycosides, many of which inhibit the heart’s pumping activity.
“Children and domestic pets are most commonly affected, but even a large man can be felled by the toxins.”