Did someone say fried chicken? Enjoy this tender and tangy recipe straight from the pages of New Idea’s 101 Ways With Chicken.
Fried Buttermilk Chicken with Apple Slaw
* Serves 4-6 * Prep: 30 mins * Cook: 25 mins
- 12 chicken drumsticks with skin on (1.8kg)
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 2 tblsps chicken seasoning
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- ½ wombok cabbage (700g), trimmed, thinly shredded
- 1 Pink Lady apple, cored, cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 green spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup bottled coleslaw dressing
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- Combine chicken and buttermilk in a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate, covered, for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Drain chicken. Toss one drumstick at time in combined flour and seasoning in a bowl. Shake off excess.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan to come halfway up the side of the pan, over a medium to high heat. Add chicken in two batches. Fry for about 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until lightly browned all over. Transfer to two oiled wire racks sitting over two large oven trays.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- To make apple slaw, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Serve chicken with apple slaw and lemon wedges.
Pick up your copy today for just $9.99 at selected newsagents and supermarkets, or online.