1.6 kg easy-carve leg of lamb
1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped plus extra to serve
8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp capers, drained
Finely grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
1 tbsp plain flour
12 small kipfler potatoes
6 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
18 eschalots, peeled
2 cups beef stock
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp plain flour
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Using a small sharp knife, make 2mm-deep incisions all over lamb. Pat dry using paper towel. Put mint, garlic, capers, zest, juice and ¼ cup of the olive oil in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Season. Rub all over lamb to coat.
- Put flour in a large oven bag (from supermarkets) and shake to coat well. Put marinated lamb in bag, then seal following pack instructions. Pierce bag several times and set in a roasting pan. Roast for 1½ hours for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, put potatoes, carrot and eschalots in a large bowl and add remaining oil. Toss to coat, then season generously. Put in a second roasting pan and roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- When lamb is cooked, open bag and pour juices into a small saucepan. Add beef stock and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Stir butter and flour together in a small bowl, then add to liquid and whisk to combine. Simmer until thickened.
- Transfer lamb to a large board or serving platter. Arrange vegetables next to lamb and garnish with extra mint leaves. Serve with gravy on the side.