The mum-of-two says her husband Dave Morgan, 65, called a GP to visit her at home, who after checking her temperature and glands, made what he thought was the correct diagnosis and prescribed penicillin.
Yet, as the hairdresser's condition worsened, her concerned loved one rushed Christine to the emergency room at the hospital where a bleed on the brain was spotted.
Shockingly, she was forced to undergo emergency surgery.
Christine, from the UK, says she's now sharing her story to raise awareness of the symptoms associated with a stroke to make sure people are given the right diagnosis.
She has launched her own legal case into the misdiagnosis that led to her requiring urgent medical care.
She said: "I knew it was worse than tonsillitis. I'd never call a doctor for tonsillitis but as my husband Dave was worried, the out of hours doctor came to our address.
"He checked my glands and temperature and said he could see a small white lump on my tonsil.
"I was still a little bit nervous as I'd told him that I hadn't had a cough or a sore throat, but you trust the doctors - he said I had tonsillitis, and I believed him.
"Within two days, I was having my brain opened up in an attempt to stop the bleeding."
Christine was initially diagnosed with tonsillitis on January 19 but she claims, just six days later she was having brain surgery in an attempt to limit long lasting damage from her initial stroke - Christine says wasn't given the correct diagnosis.
Christine added: "Those six days cost me crucial time – the surgery left me paralysed entirely on my left side and I had to relearn to walk. My left foot will now always have drop-foot.
"This has changed our lives completely - I can't work and my husband is now my full-time carer.
"I try to stay upbeat but life is very, very different. The adverts on TV always say to act quickly in a stroke.
"The misdiagnosis delayed this.”
Leena Savjani, a medical negligence solicitor for law firm Irwin Mitchell who is now investigating the case, said: "Christine has faced an incredibly difficult few years and the impact of what happened continues to have a profound impact on her and her family.
"The symptoms Christine experienced are the classic signs of a potential sub-arachnoid haemorrhage and warranted urgent hospital admission for further investigation and treatment.
"Her story is a reminder of the importance for all medical professionals to be aware of the signs of a stroke and take appropriate action at all times.
"We will continue to support Christine and her family to help them come to terms with what happened."
Warders Medical Centre, Kent, declined the to comment on the ongoing case.