Whether you’re putting in long hours at the office, juggling kids’ homework, helping elderly relatives or digging through a pile of never-ending housework, chances are you could do with a little pampering and a few hours of me-time!
But for many of us, having a professional spa day is simply too expensive, impractical or just too time-consuming.
However, there’s nothing stopping you from having a mini spa experience in your own home! If you prefer relaxing on your own in the bathroom, or would rather have some friends round to spend a few hours trying out new skin treatments, painting each other’s nails and maybe having a drink or two, here are some top tips to make the most of your mini spa at home and ensure you feel refreshed and revived afterwards.
Set a date
Like date nights, pamper sessions are much better with a bit of forward planning. That way you can invite your friends around, or arrange for the kids to have a sleepover, ensuring that you will have some quality time to enjoy yourself. Get your partner a box set of his favourite series or persuade him to go out with friends. You could even switch your phone off! Your home-based pamper session can take the form of a long, hot bath and some gorgeously scented skin or hair treatments, followed by watching your favourite TV show, or you can make a day of it with friends and include some healthy treats or a light meal to finish off your session. If everyone brings something, you won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen either.
Decide on your main ingredients
Everyone has their own idea of luxury when it comes to pampering. Here are our top five essentials for a great spa session:
- A fluffy dressing gown. Treat yourself or someone you love to one of those great, hotel quality dressing gowns that make you feel like royalty. We found a great one in a gorgeous charcoal shade at The Hamper Emporium, as part of their Retreat Women’s Hamper. It also comes with quality skincare gifts and delicious gourmet delicacies.
- Make yourself a playlist of all your favourite relaxing, smooth and sentimental songs. Pampering is all about emotional wellbeing too, so if you fancy a good cry or want to belt out some power ballads, go for it!
- You can’t possibly have a pamper session without candles! Get the best scented candles your budget will allow, or go for quantity over quality with a huge collection of cheap and cheerful tealights, but do make sure there are candles.
- Food and drink. It doesn’t matter if you choose to have peppermint tea and slices of raw vegetables, or go completely the other way and opt for chocolate and Prosecco; as long as it’s a treat. Remember, you are not doing this every day, so have what you enjoy.
- You can splurge on brand names, or make your own treatments with ingredients from your kitchen cupboard. Plan some TLC for your hair with a lovely hair mask, liven up your skin with a great body rub, remove the stress of the day with a calming face mask, or give yourself a mini manicure with some gorgeous hand cream and nail varnish.
If you invite friends around, make sure everyone brings their favourite skin, hair or face treatment. That way you get to try some new products and you can have great fun trying out each other’s favourite beauty tips. Having those extra hands around the place will also come in handy for some neck and shoulder massages, or for helping each other with a manicure or pedicure. Get everyone to bring a dressing gown and get relaxing!
Pampering sessions are a great way to revive your body and mind. If you fancy having a go, treat yourself (or drop a hint to a loved one) to one of the wonderful pampering hampers from the Hamper Emporium. They make great Christmas and birthday presents too, and with the free Australia-wide delivery on nearly all hampers, you can also treat your mum, best friend or relative, no matter where they live.