A woman has been charged for using poison to endanger life after a female at a Sydney beauty clinic suffered a cardiac arrest following a procedure.
According to the ABC, a court has heard that Jie Shao allegedly "administered an anaesthetic" even though she was not a licensed practitioner in the country.
Police were called to a salon on Carlton Street, Broadway, to treat a 35-year-old woman in cardiac arrest. The court heard the woman was not breathing when paramedics arrived. She was rushed to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where she remains in a critical condition and has not yet regained consciousness.
“If she does [survive], it’s anticipated she will have some degree of brain damage,” police said in a statement of facts tendered in court.
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that police have questioned four staff members after the medical emergency.
Ms Shao, 33, who arrived on a tourist visa in Australia just five days ago, has been charged with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm and using poison to endanger life.
In court, Ms Shao's solicitor Mary Underwood, said her client had specialised in dermatology at Canton University and asked the magistrate to grant bail.
But Magistrate Sharon Freund denied bail, saying Ms Shao posed a potential risk to the community.
Operators at the clinic declined to provide a comment to Fairfax.
This article originally appeared on Marie Claire.
You might also like…