A three-year-old girl has died after developing complications during a ‘normal dental’ procedure.
Marvelena Rady’s parents took her to a California dentist last Saturday, where she was given general anesthesia. Sadly, Marvelena never woke up.
‘We were waiting and waiting and we checked to see what was going on. At 10 a.m. they said everything was fine,’ the girl’s father Homam Rady told PEOPLE.
'But at 10:30 a.m. paramedics rushed in and went into the room [where Marvelena was].'
When Homam and his wife learnt their daughter needed multiple teeth worked on - including extractions - they opted for anesthesia.
‘The procedure was just a matter of dealing with cavities, a couple of crowns and a couple of extractions,’ he said.
Marvelena was rushed to San Ramon Regional Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead soon after arrival, Contra Costa County coroner's office confirms to PEOPLE.
‘So many memories of her and now she's gone,’ said Homam.
‘I hold a piece of her clothing with me every night.’
The news comes after a routine dental appointment turned fatal for a 14-month-old girl in Texas in March.
There is currently a push for new legislation in California, which would require dentists to inform parents about the danger of anesthesia.
The bill, known as known as Caleb's Law, was inspired by six-year-old Caleb Sears, who died last year in California following a dental procedure.