Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week (MBFW) might be drawing to a close for another year but on the catwalk we've had a sneak peek at the makeup trends for Summer 2017/18. Who better to run through the hottest looks than MBFW Official Makeup Partner Napoleon Perdis.
1. NEW IDEA: Hi Napoleon, what a week! Could you describe the key makeup trends that were on the catwalk this week?
NAPOLEON: "Fresh, luminous skin was a major look at this year’s MBFWA. The key to nailing the look? It’s all about hydration infusion! Hydrating and revitalising facial mists were used both under, and over makeup for an effortless, dewy or radiant finish. Reflective contouring was used to sculpt and create dimension, eliminating the need for heavy bronzing/contouring. For eyes, there was a combination of bronzed, smokey looks with graphic elements teamed up with natural, brushed-up brows. Lips were a mix of glossy and matte."
2. NEW IDEA: How can we take these trends and adapt them for us ladies in the real world?
NAPOLEON: "This year’s MBFWA beauty trends can be adapted into your everyday makeup look by following just a few simple steps.
- Achieve a catwalk glow by using a highlighter, such as Napoleon Perdis Light Switch Luminizer Palette, to accentuate the high points of the face. Think your cheekbones, brow bone, tip of the nose and Cupid’s Bow.
- For brows, fill them in as desired and using a clear brow gel, such as Napoleon Perdis Wand-er Brow Clear to Go, gently brush hairs upwards and out for soft feathered effect.
- Create a wide-awake eye look by adding a touch of shimmer to the inner corners of the eyes – whether you’re rocking a smokey eye, or just a simple coat of mascara, a little pop of shimmer instantly brightens up any look."
3. NEW IDEA: We loved seeing Lianna on the catwalk. What's it like to prep your teenage daughter for a show? What's her favourite makeup look from the shows?
NAPOLEON: "It’s always a little surreal having Lianna in the makeup chair – she’s my eldest daughter and will always be my little girl – even if she now towers above me! Not only do I love doing her makeup, but I’m also really proud of how Lianna upholds her level of professionalism at all times. On set I’m ‘Napoleon’, not "Dad".
The look I created for Christopher Esber’s show pushed the boundaries in terms of what other designers were doing, it also brought the outfits to life. The makeup was inspired by the 80’s with a modern, dynamic twist. Lianna sported a sweep of lilac pastel across her eyes which looked super fresh and youthful.
I like to think of Lianna as a chameleon when it comes to makeup – she looks just as fab in a red lip as she does in a smokey eye or barely there ‘no makeup’ look. She adores makeup just as much as I do, and loves to experiment with different looks."
4. NEW IDEA: And for our 40+ readers, what’s (wife and CEO Napoleon Perdis) Soula-Marie’s favourite makeup look from the shows that she’ll be wearing this summer?
NAPOLEON: "Soula-Marie is all about classic, refined beauty, but when she’s in the mood and rocks a poppy lip or a little colour on her eyes, it’s show-stopping. I think Christopher Esber’s look would be amongst her favourites – I can see her translating the statement eye look to a pastel blue or rosy pink hue matched with a nude lip and subtle sweep of blush."