“As soon as I opened the front door, it just hit me in the face,” Dan reveals.
“I went inside the apartment, obviously covering my mouth and nose, and there were about three gas bottles at the far end of the apartment in the terrace pumping out hot air and gas. I couldn’t believe someone had done that.
“My worst fear was that someone was in there and may have passed out from the fumes. That’s why I got guys with masks to turn it off and checked the whole place."
“There was no-one in there, thank goodness. There’s so much potential for something bad to happen. If someone had been sleeping in that apartment, carbon monoxide could have killed them.
"That’s a big killer in Australia right now. Someone could have gone in there and sparked up a tool or lighter and who knows what could have happened with a whole apartment full of gas?”
And it wasn’t just Dan who was furious about what had happened. “Emma, our health and safety officer, came up and was quite annoyed. She was ready to kick people off or re-induct people, it was that serious,” Dan says, still fuming. “It put the whole Block at risk.”