A mum was left panic-stricken when she went to rouse her little girl after a nap - but she wouldn’t respond, now she’s warning other mums of the dangers of heatstroke.
Jennifer Abma’s little girl hadn’t even been out in the sun, the mum explains in a Facebook post, yet she suffered heatstroke so badly she wouldn’t wake up.
‘This was the scariest moment I've had to imagine,’ she begins.
‘There is nothing scarier than not being able to wake your baby up.’
In a photo Jennifer’s little girl Anastasia appears to be snoozing peacefully, however her skin is flushed and she looks clammy.
Jennifer says her little girl wasn’t feeling well and had taken herself off for a nap. When she went to check on her, Jennifer realised her girl wouldn’t budge. She also noted that the room was incredibly warm.
It took 20 minutes to rouse her, by which time Jennifer had called an ambulance who checked her blood sugars which were dangerously low.
‘They administered sucrose and in minutes she started crying clearly scared,’ explains mum.
‘No it is not my fault this happened to her but it is hard not to blame yourself, this is a lesson learnt,’ says.
She’s warning other mums to pay attention to the temperature of their children’s bedrooms - because heatstroke doesn’t just happen on sunny days.
‘I'm shook and I can't imagine what would have happened if I didn't go check on her.’