What Is A See-Through Dress?
It’s pretty straightforward – a see-through dress is a dress that you can see through, usually because of strategic cut-outs and sheer fabrics. Despite the name and the image it conjures up, see-through dresses can be elegant, chic, and fashion-forward.
See-Through Dress Etiquette: How To Wear This Trend
Things You Should Keep In Mind When Rocking A Sheer Outfit
- Wardrobe malfunctions and nip slips are always a risk when wearing a sheer dress. Fashion tape and nipple covers (whether it’s an actual pasty or a cute sticker) will be your best friend. Make sure you tape what needs to be taped and double-check your pasties before heading out the door.
- A sheer dress is always going to attract attention, both good and bad. But your dress, no matter how see-through, is not an excuse for anyone to harass you!
- The best accessory you can have while wearing a see-through dress is confidence. You need to carry the outfit, not let the outfit carry you.
What To Wear Under A See-Through Dress
There are a few different things you can wear underneath a sheer dress, depending on how you want to style your outfit. This includes:
- A slip (usually in black or nude)
- A bodysuit
- Matching bra and panties
- A cute bralette
- No bra, just a thong
- Pasties/tape/something to cover your nipples
- Absolutely nothing!
If the see-through trend is just a tad too revealing for you, don’t be scared to layer under or over your outfit! A cute coat, button-up, or even another dress can make a sexy outfit a lot more conservative.
When Is It Appropriate To Wear A Transparent Dress?
Even if you absolutely love how see-through dresses look, you might not know when to bust out that mesh dress that’s been sitting in your closet for months. While it’s definitely not as controversial as before, you still need to be mindful of when and where you wear it.
Here are some scenarios where you could wear a transparent dress and no one would bat an eye:
- Your wedding (it’s your day, after all, and a see-through wedding dress will DEFINITELY keep all eyes on you)
- A concert or festival
- A club or bar (especially if it’s girl’s night)
- The beach
- An award ceremony or movie premiere
And now, some scenarios where you probably should opt for something a little bit more conservative:
- Someone else’s wedding (don’t steal the spotlight)
- At work or school (unless you layer it expertly, but maybe not even then)
- A funeral
- Meeting your SO’s parents for the first time
- Job interviews
Famous Celebrity See-Through Dresses
These stars, models, and famous personalities sure know how to start a conversation around their shocking style choices. Here are some of the best (and most controversial) see-through dresses we’ve ever seen.
The singer is no stranger to revealing outfits, but this Adam Selman see-through maxi dress really takes the cake. Rihanna proved she deserved her 2014 CFDA Fashion Icon Award in this number, which has over 50,000 Swarovski crystals.
Social media star and businesswoman Kylie Jenner has had so many see-through fashion moments, it was hard to pick just one. She recently flaunted her curves in a bright purple see-through formal dress for the 2019 Met Gala.
Her style is obviously a lot more conservative now, but the Duchess of Cambridge has worn some skimpy outfits in this past. Rumour has it that seeing Kate in this particular sheer dress is what captured Prince William’s heart in the first place!
Wearing a revealing dress today is no big deal, but it definitely was when actress Rose McGowan showed up in this slinky black see-through dress in 1998. What a pioneer!
Jennifer Lopez bared it all in this sheer tropical-printed maxi dress way back in 2000. Surprisingly, this isn’t even the most shocking outfit that the performer has worn!
Top 5 See-Through Dresses You Should Add To Your Wardrobe
Arya by Lexi, $AUD 579
See-through lace dress in black. Buy it here.
Sheer Maxi Dress by Pretty Little Thing, $AUD 50
Polka dot wrap dress in beige. Buy it here.
Annabelle by Tobi, $AUD 181
Natural crochet dress in white. Buy it here.
Modern Muse by White Fox, $AUD 149.95
White see-through dress with corset. Buy it here.
Embroidered Bodycon Dress by Pretty Little Thing, $AUD 100
Nude and floral mesh dress. Buy it here.
There’s no better time than now to be adventurous and bold (literally) with your fashion choices. See-through dresses definitely require a ton of confidence, but you’re sure to turn heads and make a powerful statement no matter where you go.