ROYALS

Prince Harry’s tell all memoir release date revealed

The memoir is sure to stir up some drama for the royal family!
Loading the player...

The long-awaited, highly publicized memoir from Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex finally has a release date following lengthy delays. 

In what is expected to be a ‘tell all’ insight into his life as a royal, the memoir was delayed from an expected autumn release as part of a three-title deal with Penguin Random House estimated to be worth in excess of $36.8m pounds.

WATCH: Prince Harry’s touching tribute to Queen Elizabeth II

In an earlier statement announcing the global publishing deal, Penguin Random House described the release as “an intimate and heartfelt memoir”, promising that Prince Harry would offer an honest and captivating personal portrait. 

The publishers added that the book would cover Harry’s “lifetime in the public eye from childhood to the present day, including his dedication to service, the military duty that twice took him to the front lines of Afghanistan, and the joy he has found in being a husband and father”. 

“I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a first-hand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful,” Prince Harry told the media when the memoir was first announced.

Prince Harry and King Charles III have a famously strained relationship.
(Credit: Getty)

According to palace insiders, whilst the memoir had been signed off by Harry, as soon as the queen passed away, he requested a number of alterations be made amid fears that his final draft “might not go down well” with his family amidst an already strained relationship. 

A source told The Daily Mail that the move to delay the release of the memoir had “thrown a spanner in the works”. 

“There may be things in the book which might not look so good if they come out so soon after these events. He wants sections changed now. It’s not a total rewrite by any means. He desperately wants to make changes. But it might be too late”. 

The news comes after Penguin Random House had already demanded a rewrite after the first draft was deemed ‘too touchy-feely’ and placed too much focus on mental health issues. 

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge controversially stepped back from the royal family in 2020.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex controversially withdrew from the royal family in 2020. (Credit: Getty)

Literary agent Matt Latimer told the New York Times: “Is his goal to enhance his celebrity with a certain sector of the public, or is it to repair the rift with his family?”

“Those are competing goals to some extent, and it’s hard to do both.”

Royal biographer Tina Brown, author of The Diana Chronicles and The Palace Papers, does not think the contentious biography will ever “see the light of day”, according to The Daily Telegraph.

“They are now in this bind, where they’ve taken all this money and Harry has made this book deal where he’s supposed to spill everything about his horrible life as a royal, but now he’s actually tortured about it because he understands there is no way back if he does it,” she said.

“If the book continues, I don’t think there is any way for Harry to return. So my view has always been that the book won’t see the light of day.”

It remains to be seen what will happen with the memoir, but New Idea can reveal that it is now due to be released to the public on January 10, 2023, at least for now. 

Related stories