Tip: Monsters can be made up to one day ahead. Store them covered on a tray in the fridge. Candy eyes are usually available from the cake decorating aisle.
6 cups rice bubbles
280g bag pink and white marshmallows
75g unsalted butter, chopped
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups pure icing sugar
11/2-2 tblsps water
Green food colouring, to tint
Candy eyes and large, round white peppermints, to decorate
Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
2. Place rice bubbles in a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine marshmallows, butter and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Add to rice bubbles and mix well.
4. Press into prepared pan. Smooth top. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
5. Meanwhile, sift icing sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in enough water to make it a smooth, spreadable consistency. Tint green. Reserve 2 tsp.
6. Lift slice from pan. Remove lining paper. Using a large, sharp knife, cut into 16cm rectangles.
7. To make large eyes, stick a candy eye onto each peppermint using reserved icing as glue.
8. One at a time, hold rectangle at an angle and spoon 1 tblsp of icing over one end. Spread to create dribble effect. Lay flat on baking paper-lined-tray.
9. Decorate with extra candy eyes as desired. Refrigerate until icing is set. Serve.