A toxicology report has revealed that pop legend Prince had an 'exceedingly high' concentration of fentanyl in his body when he died.
The 57-year-old entertainer was found alone and unresponsive in an elevator at his home in April 2016.
Public information released six weeks after his death showed he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50 times more powerful than heroin.
A confidential toxicology report has now provided some insight into just how much fentanyl was in his system.
The report says the concentration of fentanyl in Prince’s blood was 67.8 micrograms per litre.
Dr Lewis Nelson, chairman of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, revealed: 'The amount in his blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches.'
He claimed the fentanyl concentrations were 'a pretty clear smoking gun.'
Search warrants released about a year after Prince’s death showed authorities found numerous pills in various containers around the music legend's home.
The source of the drugs has not been revealed.
The lead prosecutor in the county where Prince died said in a statement that he was reviewing law enforcement reports and would make a decision on whether to charge anyone 'in the near future.'