Prince died of an accidental opioid overdose, the Midwest Medical Examiner's office has confirmed.
The single-page report said Prince "self-administered fentanyl," referring to a synthetic opioid. For manner of death, a box was marked for "accident."
Fentanyl can be made illicitly and is blamed for a spike in overdose deaths in the United States. It's 25 to 50 times more potent than heroin and 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
The music superstar weighed 112 pounds and was 63 inches tall when he died, the report said. He was wearing a black cap, shirt, pants, boxer briefs and socks and a gray undershirt, the report said. His occupation was listed as "artist" and his business as "music."
Detectives have already questioned a doctor who saw the 57-year-old twice in the weeks before he died.
The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in Minneapolis on April 21. He was 57.