Prince Andrew speaks out after being busted at sex offender's mansion
The royal claims he didn't know the truth, despite emergence of shock images
Prince Andrew has spoken out after shock images emerged of him making himself at home at Jeffrey Epstein’s mansion – after the late financier had already been placed on a sex offender’s register.
The Prince’s history of partying with the disgraced businessman has come under the microscope again after Epstein died of an apparent suicide in a New York prison. The Prince has been accused by one of Epstein’s former companions of having sex with her three times while she was underage, and another has accused him of groping her.
WATCH: Prince Andrew pictured at Epstein's mansion after the sex predator had been convicted
Photos emerged over the weekend of Andrew peering out the front door of Epstein’s New York mansion, waving goodbye to a young woman. The pictures were taken nine years ago, by which time Epstein was already on a sex offender’s register for sex with an underaged person.
But in a new palace statement, Andrew claims to have been left shocked by his former close friend’s past behaviour.
‘The Duke of York has been appalled by the recent reports of Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged crimes,’ said Buckingham Palace, on behalf of the prince.
‘His Royal Highness deplores the exploitation of any human being and the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behaviour is abhorrent.’
Prince Andrew is accused of having sex with underaged Virginia Roberts
The palace has previously denied allegations by Virginia Roberts who says she was used as a teen sex slave by Epstein and passed around to Andrew.
‘It is emphatically denied that The Duke of York had any form of sexual contact or relationship with Virginia Roberts. Any claim to the contrary is false and without foundation.’
The prince was filmed at Epstein’s house in 2010. The financier had been convicted of sex with a child in 2008.
A source who witnessed the Prince at Epstein’s house told the Mail on Sunday: ‘When the Prince came to the door I was stunned.
‘He looked totally at ease. He said a few words to the girl, who was very pretty, and then she walked off down the street in the direction of Central Park.
‘If I hadn't known it was Prince Andrew, I would have thought he owned the place. He looked so comfortable and relaxed as he stood there at the door.
‘It was only as the girl walked off that he glanced around the door frame, almost as if to check no one was watching.’
Prince Andrew has left Balmoral amid the scandal, and is now holidaying with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, in Spain.