6 egg whites, at room temperature
1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
3 tsps corn flour
1 tsp white vinegar
1⁄2 tsp cream of tartar
300ml tub thickened cream
Quartered fresh strawberries, passionfruit pulp and fresh mint leaves, to decorate
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1⁄4 cup caster sugar
2 tbsps custard powder
1⁄4 cup fresh passionfruit pulp
Trace a 22cm circle onto a sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down on a greased large oven tray. Lightly grease paper with oil.
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, beating until dissolved. Continue to beat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick and glossy. Beat in corn flour, vinegar and cream of tartar.
3. Using a large serving spoon, place spoonfuls of meringue mixture (about 1⁄2 cup) onto the circle, side-by-side, on the prepared tray. Make an indent on the top of each one.
4. Cook in a very slow oven (100C) for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven. Cool pavlova in oven with door open about 15cm for 1 hour. Remove.
5. Meanwhile, make custard. Combine milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until hot. Remove.
6. Combine sugar and custard powder in a medium heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk until combined. Return to same saucepan. Whisk over a medium heat until boiling and thickened. Transfer to a clean heatproof bowl. Stir in passionfruit. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
7. Just before serving, beat cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Whisk custard in bowl until smooth. Fold in cream.
8. Top pavlova with custard, strawberries, passionfruit and mint leaves.