Police mount new bushland search for missing boy William Tyrrell

A fresh intensive search will be conduct today.
Sky News

New South Wales police are set to begin a fresh intensive search for missing boy William Tyrell from Wednesday, June 13. 

William, then aged three, went missing from his grandmother’s property in Kendall on the NSW mid-North Coast on September 12, 2014. 

The toddler was reportedly playing in the yard when he went missing. 

At the time of the disappearance, an extensive 10-day search involving police, locals and emergency services was conducted, but William was never found. 

NSW Police today said detectives from Strike Force Rosann, formed to investigate William’s disappearance, will begin the forensic search in bushland near the home.

The operation will be co-ordinated by search experts from NSW Police’s public order and riot squad.

Police will provide more details at a press conference on Wednesday morning.

On the second anniversary of William’s disappearance in 2016, the NSW government announced a $1 million reward for information leading to his recovery.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin told reporters today: ‘We’re committed to finding out what’s happened to William.

We’re mindful that it’s over three-and-a-half years since William disappeared and we haven’t solved the matter. We will continue on until we do solve this matter.

I think based on what took place during the original search and from our investigations it’s reasonable to draw the conclusion that William’s disappearance as a result of human intervention and not through misadventure.

The search we’re conducting now and fairly extensive search is so we can produce that evidence whether it be a coroner’s court or criminal court showing that William’s disappearance is a result of human intervention and not through misadventure.’ 

Detective Jubelin added that law enforcement have ‘grave concerns’ over William’s whereabouts. 

‘It’s been a very long time,’ he said. ‘As I have said to the family and I can’t be any more honest than what I say to the family in a situation like this: until we know conclusively that William is not alive we will treat it with the possibility that he is still alive. Obviously we still have grave concerns.’ 

It is understood that NSW police are not expecting a breakthrough in the case, but were ‘looking for evidence for court.’ 

Related stories