He was forced to shut down his social media accounts this week after landing himself in hot water for launching a verbal attack on on-screen ‘wife’ Cheryl during an episode of Married At First Sight.
But now, Andrew Jones has revealed exactly why he went into ‘hiding.’
Speaking with The Fix, the 38-year-old fire-fighter admitted that he felt he ‘had to deactivate Facebook’ after being relentlessly trolled by viewers expressing their fury at his mistreatment of his bride.
Some went so far as to brand him as a bully and threaten him with physical violence following Tuesday night’s controversial episode, which showed footage of him mocking Cheryl's appearance to the other shocked contestants.
‘You’re a disgrace to Western Australia, the Fire Department and your own mother,” one fan wrote on Twitter.
According to a source close to Andrew, the reality star was completely “blindsided” by the backlash and now has concerns for his safety.
“He doesn’t want to leave the house in case people recognise him and is actually really stressed out,” they said.
But previously the star had told the publication he’d been bombarded with a very different type of attention, explaining back in February that girls had been leaving their numbers at his work place.
“It’s almost like I’m the poster boy for broken hearts around the world,” he said.
He also confessed he wasn’t interested in the notoriety and fandom that came with the life of a reality TV star.
“I try to stay home and avoid all that.”
You might also like…