1. Stick to neutrals. Keep walls and big-ticket furniture items such as sofas, tables and bedheads in neutral colours. Then you can have fun with your décor pieces, using them to inject personality with colours, prints and patterns.
2. Get arty. Think about investing in a beautiful piece of art that takes up a lot of wall space. It'll be eye-catching and attention-grabbing, which means it will set the look for the rest of the room.
3. Choose furniture wisely. Your sofa is something you shouldn't be scrimping on! It's the most used piece of furniture in the living room, so investing in it will pay off in the long run. Make sure you use the right sized furniture pieces. Often you don't need a lot of furniture to create the right look; you just need to buy furniture that is the perfect size for the room.
4. Go green. Bring greenery indoors - you might even have some plants in the garden you could put into a pot and display in your living room. The ginko tree in the corner of the set was a nice touch of nature, which every room needs!
5. Get moody. If you have a tight budget, light candles for nice ambient light, as well as a beautiful scent, or purchase new lamp shades for a lamp you still like but needs a refresh.
Tea with Jules presented by The Home will air in June.
See something you like? Shop the look of the set at thehome.com.au