How To Wear Knee High Boots
We celebrate expressions of your unique personality, especially when it comes to fashion. So instead of believing in rules, we believe that there are guidelines on how to style knee-high boots and make an impact. Here are just a few you should keep in mind:
- Knee-high boots can be sexy, serious, playful, punk – whatever your style is, there’s definitely a boot to match! Experiment with different materials and colours to achieve your ideal look.
- For example, lace-up black leather boots with a high heel give off a very sultry, edgy vibe while a flat tan suede over-the-knee boot is a lot more casual and laid-back. Additionally, you can choose boots that blend in with your outfit or provide contrast to it.
- Boots are best worn with outfits that can really show off its unique cut. Cocktail dresses that end just a few inches above the knee are perfect, leggings/stockings/tights create a good silhouette while keeping you warm, and jeans are a standard knee-high boot base.
- However, that being said, there’s also a new trend of layering your high-knee boots with longer skirts or dresses. While you might think that it defeats the purpose of the shoe, it tones down the sex appeal of the knee-high a lot and makes it a lot more “high-fashion” and “mature”.
- No matter what style you choose or outfit you pair it with, knee-high boots will always be a little sexy and provocative. So unless you’re going for the hot dominatrix look, you’ll want to balance it out with more conservative clothing items like high necklines, loose oversized tops, and delicate feminine styles.
- We always recommend having an LBB (little black boot), but don’t shy away from coloured boots as well! Bright, vibrant hues like red will no doubt add some life to your standard knee-highs. There are also patterned/specialty fabric boots, like snakeskin or denim, that are sure to be the focal point of your outfit.
- Knee-high boots are a statement piece all on their own, so keep your accessories to a minimum. Stick to simple chokers, string bracelets, and a subdued clutch if you absolutely must accessorise.
- The right fit is ESSENTIAL to any good OTK. Too loose, and you’ll constantly be pulling up the tops. Too tight, and your calves will hate you. Always fit your boots before buying them, and consider shoe brands that offer “fit-inclusive” sizing.
Your Complete Style Guide To Pairing Knee-High Boots With An Outfit
Want to blend comfort and style? Pair your knee-highs with your favourite denim jeans and a chunky sweater. A warm neutral tone like brown is perfect for running errands or casual Fridays at work.
With An Oversized Top
Take it from Rihanna, a certified OTK-lover – a loose-fitting top like a giant button-down, coat, or sweater is the best thing you can pair with your knee-highs. Notice how this outfit is still sexy without being too revealing.
With A Miniskirt
Miniskirts were practically made for over-the-knee boots. They’re the perfect length to reveal just the right amount of skin. Keep it fun, flirty and on-trend with white or grey boots, especially in a matte material like suede.
With A Long Dress
Sometimes the most fashion-forward advice flies in the face of logic. Normally, you’d want to show off your knee-highs in a short dress or skirt, but you can achieve a very polished and mature look by doing the exact opposite and pairing it with a loose calf-length outfit.
Some people will tell you that combining knee-length boots and shorts are an absolute no-no. We are not those people. In fact, we think that a casual look with a t-shirt and denim shorts immediately becomes 500% more chic just by adding a pair of knee-highs.
Want the look with none of the skin? Simple: wear tights, stockings, or leggings under your knee-high boots. You’ll still get the same silhouette without baring anything you don’t want to. Plus, you can still play around with it and break out the patterned tights!
If you need a quick way to jazz up an outfit or add an edge to an otherwise boring ensemble, then knee-high boots are your best bet. OTKs are sassy, sexy, and absolutely timeless. Just pair it with the right skirt or dress, and you’ll be rocking this iconic style in no time.
RELATED: How To Clean Suede Shoes