Why Do You Need Blush In Your Makeup Routine?
Blush literally puts a bit of colour in your cheeks. When you’re tired, your complexion can look sallow or pasty, and the right blush can give you a fresher face. You can also use bronzer and blush to sculpt your cheekbones and give them more definition, or blush and highlighter to glow all day.
The face of your shape can be changed pretty drastically with the right placement of these three products. Without blush, you’ll get all the angles but none of the vibrancy. A contoured face still needs blush to come alive, so it’s an absolute must for you to learn how to use it properly!
What Are The Different Types Of Blush?
1. Powder Blush
This is the most familiar form of blush, especially for makeup newbies. Easily buildable with a controlled hand and the right brush, powder blush is perfect for beginners who want to learn the basics of blush placement. Works great for oily skin.
2. Cream Blush
With a texture similar to a less waxy lipstick, cream blushes are a great way of keeping skin soft while building layers of colour. Because they melt into the skin, they don’t cake or look unnatural. Be careful with cream blush, as a little goes a long way! This is better for dry skin.
3. Blush Stick
Blush sticks are more solid than cream blush and can have either a gel or cream texture. They’re becoming more popular because they’re very portable and make precise application a snap! Blush sticks are perfect for all skin types, depending on their texture and ingredients.
4. Blush Tint
Blush tints are the most liquid form of blush and are usually directly blended in with the fingers because they are so watery. They can have a much more natural appearance because they’re so sheer, making them perfect for that ‘no-makeup’ look. Blush tints are lightweight, but they also have to be blended quickly! Blush tints work with every skin type.
What Do You Need To Apply Blush?
The best brush for powder blushes is a small, soft, and fluffy brush that can gently swirl out the product. Beauty blenders can set any form of blush but are best suited to cream blushes. And blush tints and blush sticks work better when blended with your fingers. Always clean your tools and your hands before and after application!
What Blush Colour Should I Use?
1. If You Have Fair Skin
Pale pink and light peach will stand out on pale skin. Steer clear from loud oranges or bold reds, as it will be harder to blend them in on your complexion! Even paler shades will stand out, so be careful when you apply blush! Start with a small amount and build up from there.
2. If You Have Medium Skin
Apricot blush looks golden and gorgeous on medium skin. Muted berry blushes and mauves are also good tones for bringing a natural, subtle flush to your cheeks. Look for a peachy or warm pink shade with gold fleck for a summer glow.
3. If You Have Olive Skin
While peach is perfect for every skin tone, pick one with a more orangey colour to make your face glow. Because olive skin has some green undertones, rose blush is another great choice for a workout glow. These shades will warm up your face without making it look sallow.
4. If You Have Dark Skin
Deep berry shades like wine and raisin are gorgeous on dark skin. This is also one of the skin tones that can pull off orange blush beautifully – pick one with some golden or bronze flecks to make your skin look glossy and smooth!
How To Apply Blush: Step By Step Guide Based On Your Face Shape
1. If You Have A Round Face
Applying Blush Correctly Can Help Define Your Face
- Suck in your cheeks. This will be your guide for defining your face.
- Dab blush on and sweep it along your cheekbones.
- Make sure that you are sweeping towards your temple. This will help narrow your face down.
2. If You Have An Oval Face
Make Your Face Look Plumper And More Youthful
- Dab a small amount of blush onto the apples of your cheeks. The ‘apples’ are the meatiest part of your face.
- Gently swipe the blush upwards with your fingers, brush, or blender to highlight and define high cheekbones.
- Apply another dab if you need more colour, but always swipe upwards. This will balance out your narrow face.
3. If You Have A Heart-Shaped Face
Soften A Pointy Face By Learning How To Apply Blush On Cheeks
- Take a small amount of blush and dab it onto your skin.
- Start applying it below the apples of your cheeks.
- Using your brush, fingers, or blender, swirl the blush towards your hairline.
4. If You Have A Square Face
Keep Your Face From Looking Too Wide With Proper Blush Application
- Take a small amount of product to your fingers, sponge, or brush.
- Apply the blush towards the outside lower portion of your cheeks. Make sure you blend outwards.
- Concentrate on applying blush near that lower portion of the apples of your cheeks. Avoid blending near your nose.
Proper blush application will lift years off your face, and leave you looking youthful, vibrant, and energetic! Just check the mirror to figure out your face shape and skin tone, and with a little practice, you can achieve perfect blush application every single time.