2 medium Roma tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
500 g beef mince
3 tsp Greek seasoning
2 tsp dried oregano leaves
2 cups beef stock
1 cup long-grain white rice
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup drained, pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
150 g Greek feta, crumbled
½ cup shredded fresh mint leaves
finely grated fresh lemon rind, to serve
lemon wedges, to serve
- Finely chop tomatoes. Set aside 1 tbsp tomatoes to serve.
- Heat oil in a flameproof casserole dish (18-cup capacity) over a medium to high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, or until soft.
- Add beef, seasoning and oregano. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in stock, rice and remaining tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Cover dish.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from oven. Stir in olives. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in feta, mint and reserved tomatoes. Sprinkle over rind. Serve with lemon wedges.