75 g butter, chopped
¼ cup plain flour
2 ¼ cups milk
1½ cups grated tasty cheese
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
½ tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste
1.5 kg Desiree potatoes, peeled
Extra thyme leaves, to garnish
- Grease a large ovenproof dish (12-cup capacity).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over a medium to low heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Return to a medium to high heat. Whisk until boiling and thickened. Add 1 cup of the cheese, thyme and nutmeg. Whisk until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut potatoes into thin slices using a mandolin or food processor with a slicing blade.
- Arrange one-third of the potatoes, slightly overlapping, over base of prepared dish. Spread one-third of the sauce over top. Repeat layering twice remaining potatoes and sauce. Cover tightly with a sheet of baking paper then a sheet of foil.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook for a further 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with extra thyme leaves.