1 kg chicken lovely legs
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, trimmed, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 potatoes (450 g), peeled, cut into 1 cm cubes
2 stalks parsley
1½ litres (6 cups) chicken stock
1 bouquet garni sachet
½ cup pure cream
Pesto croutons (see below) and chopped parsley, to serve
4 bread slices
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp basil pesto
1 tbsp olive oil
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat half the oil in a large stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat rest of oil in same stockpot. Add leeks, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, over a low heat for about 5 minutes, or until vegies are soft.
- Return chicken to pot with any juices. Add potatoes, parsley, stock and bouquet garni. Bring to boil. Simmer for 30 minutes, skimming as necessary, or until chicken is falling away from the bones. Remove from heat. Discard parsley and bouquet garni. Cool slightly.
Meanwhile, prepare croutons. For croutons, tear bread into 2cm pieces. Mix with parmesan, basil pesto and olive oil. Cook in 180C oven for 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken. Cool slightly. Shred meat. Discard bones.
- Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to same clean pot with chicken and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Stir over a medium heat until hot.
Serve soup with pesto croutons and chopped parsley.