Australian comedian Fiona O’Laughlin has opened up about the terrifying medical drama that saw her given just a seven per cent chance of survival.
Speaking on Gold104.3’s Jo & Lehmo show, Fiona revealed how she fell into a month-long coma after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning from her heater.
Although she has since made a full recovery, the much-loved star said she initially didn’t pick up on the symptoms.
“It went over the course of a month. I forgot things, I thought I was getting early Alzheimer’s,” she stated.
“I was forgetting things, forgetting my kids’ names. But then I did forget I was an alcoholic," she said, making light of her much-documented struggles with addiction.
What Fiona didn’t realise was that she was being slowly poisoned.
“I was given a seven per cent chance of life. Guess what? I didn’t die,” she laughed.
After four weeks, O'Loughlin emerged from her coma and has since made a full recovery. She hasn't experienced any long-term side effects from the poisoning.
Often referred to as “the silent killer’ carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless and has the ability to incapacitate people without them realising.