101 Ways With Chicken is jam packed with all-new, versatile and affordable recipes, using the family favourite chicken. From roasting and poaching to grilling and stir-frying and 101 Ways With Chicken covers everything from tasty lunches and quick weeknight dinners to weekend barbeques and entertaining. Whether you crave tacos, curries, salads or stir-fries, you’ll find them all here!
Chinese Roast Chicken
* Serves 4 * Prep: 35 mins * Cook: 1 hour, 30 mins
- 7kg whole chicken
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 medium red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Sliced green spring onions, to garnish
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tblsps oyster sauce
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 tblsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Pat the chicken dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Place in a large bowl.
- To make the marinade, combine all ingredients in a medium jug. Pour half the marinade over chicken. Turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, turning once, for 2 hours, or overnight. Pour remaining marinade into a small jug. Refrigerate, covered.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place chicken on an oiled wire rack in a large roasting pan. Pour 2 cups of the water into base of pan. Cover pan with oiled foil.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 50 minutes. Remove foil. Cook for a further 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove. Rest chicken, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan with remaining ¼ cup of water. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until sauce has slightly thickened. Stir in chilli.
For more delicious recipes using this family favourite, pick up your copy of New Idea’s 101 Ways With Chicken for only $9.99 today! Available at selected newsagents and supermarkets, or online.