Turkish-Style Chicken with Chickpea Tabouli
*Serves 6 *Prep 20 mins *Cook 22 mins
- 2kg chicken thigh fillets (10), trimmed
- 450g loaf white Turkish bread
- Garlic tzatziki and lemon wedges, to serve
- 2 tblsps olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Add chicken. Toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into 3cm thick slices.
- Heat a lightly oiled, large, barbecue grill plate over a medium heat. Add bread. Cook, turning for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until toasted. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium to high. In two batches, add chicken to same grill plate. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove.
- Meanwhile, make tabouli. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season.
- Serve chicken with tabouli, bread, tzatziki and lemon.
Don’t marinate chicken for longer than 1 hour, otherwise it will toughen. If cooking on a large barbecue, cook chicken in one batch.