CELEBRITY

Police called: Kyle Sandilands death threat terror over religious rant

The volume of death threats is increasing.
Loading the player...

Following the controversy of Kyle Sandilands’ offensive comments on air, the shock jock has reportedly become the target of death threats.

The Daily Telegraph revealed that the 48-year-old had contacted NSW Police after receiving a number of death threats over social media, email and mobile phone.

A source close to the radio host told the publication that Kyle has “absolutely” been getting death threats.

“That is nothing new however. To be honest, if Kyle got a dollar for every death threat he received, he would be able to buy Tasmania. It has been something that has been going on forever. To be fair, this past week has been very busy though,” they added.

WATCH: Kyle Sandilands mocks ‘Virgin Mary’

On Friday, Kyle issues an apology through a statement to The Daily Telegraph.

“I’m sorry if I offended anyone with my comments,” Sandilands said. “Everyone is entitled to their own religious beliefs and I’m fully supportive of that right.

KIIS owner Australian Radio Network (ARN) also apologised, saying:

“We echo Kyle’s statement and unreservedly apologize for any offence that may have been caused. Last week when this content ran, we immediately recognised that it wasn’t appropriate for distribution and it was removed immediately.”

On Monday, Christian and Muslim protesters stood outside KIIS FM’s studio in Ryde demanding a more sincere apology from Kyle.

WATCH: Protestors Chant ‘Sack Kyle Sandilands’ after ‘Virgin Mary’ outrage

Loading the player...

In the segment, the 48-year-old called the Virgin Mary a ‘liar’ who got knocked up ‘behind a camel shed.’

“I thought Mary was his (Jesus’) girlfriend but apparently it was the mother,” he said.

“And the mother lied obviously and told everyone, ‘Nah I got pregnant by a magical ghost’. Bulls**t.”

He also called anyone who believed in the Bible story “dumb.”

“You might believe everything that was written down 2000 years ago to be absolutely accurate. Good on you, you’re dumb. Dumb as dog s**t,” he said.

Charlie Bakhos – a Sydney man who originally condemned Kyle for his offensive comments in a video last Thursday – has called upon the radio host to deliver a more sincere apology live on air.

“What we want is a genuine apology. Send a genuine apology. You want ratings, you want respect. The best thing you can do right now is come out to our communities… and show a sincere, genuine apology,” Bakhos said.

“If I was you I’d invite some Christians and Muslims to your radio station, apologise live on air.”

Related stories