Now one woman has shared a genius recipe which makes a classic caramel slice in an Air Fryer.
The recipe was adapted from food blogger Recipe Tin Eats and the adjustments shared to Facebook.
It only 30 minutes to cook and makes up to 16 bars, which could last over a week if you can resist inhaling them in one sitting. Though we understand if you can't.
To save on time. use Kmart's 3 in 1 air fryer and prep the base in this $5 square cake pan which will fit perfectly.
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
125g unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 cup brown sugar
125g unsalted butter (cubed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can (395g) sweetened condensed milk (regular, NOT skim/low fat)
200g melting chocolate
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat AF to 160°C
2. Grease and line your pan with baking/parchment paper. Leave overhang for ease of removal.
3. Mix together Base ingredients and press into pan.
4. Bake for 15 minutes until the surface is golden. Cool in fridge if you have time (allows biscuit to harden).
1. Lower air fryer to 140°C.
2. Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium low heat. When the butter is melted, whisk to combine with sugar, then just leave it until it comes to a simmer.
3. When bubbles appear, add condensed milk. Whisk constantly for 5 minutes, until you start getting some big slow bubbles on the base.
4. Once bubbles start appearing, whisk for 1 minute, then pour onto Biscuit Base. Tilt pan to spread evenly.
5. Bake for 12 minutes. Don't worry if you get splotchy brown bits (this happens with ovens that don't distribute heat evenly).
6. Cool on counter for 20 minutes then refrigerate 30 minutes - bottom of pan should be warm but surface cool (not cold) to touch.
1. Place chocolate and oil in a microwave proof bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until chocolate is fully melted (took me 3 x 30 sec). NB: oil helps prevent the choc from cracking when cutting!
2. Pour melted choc over caramel, spread with spatula. Then gently shake pan to make the surface completely fat.
3. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set.
4. For the final step all you have to do is remove from fridge and leave out for 5 minutes. This will take the chill out of the chocolate slightly.
Then cut into bars or squares to serve!