There are reports of a ‘mass poisoning’ at a Gold Coast school on Wednesday afternoon.
The Gold Coast Bulletin reported that seven teenagers were taken severely ill after consuming a mystery ‘substance’ at The Saint Stephen’s College in Coomera.
The teens were reported to be in Year 10.
At 3.30pm on Wednesday, Queensland Ambulance tweeted the service was assessing ‘several patients’ that had reportedly taken an unknown substance.
The ill students were taken to Gold Coast University Hospital
In an update Queensland Ambulance said those taken to hospital were in 'stable conditions, with varying levels of consciousness'.
According to the Gold Coast Bulletin, the reaction was due to a suspected 'overdose'.
'We are leaning toward an overdose. It would appear from the initial response it is an overdose,' Pat Berry, from Queensland Ambulance, told the publication.
'I must applaud the response of the school to identify these children were deteriorating.'