It’s easy to be impressed by the images you see in magazines and on design sites – the challenge is knowing how to make them work in your own home. Dulux recently partnered with interior stylist Julia Green to guide us all step-by-step on how to give your bedroom an on trend makeover.
WATCH: A Stylist's step-by-step guide on transforming a bedroom
‘If you’re looking to liven a room, are short on time and don’t want to spend a fortune, paint can be your best friend, allowing you to breathe new life into tired spaces with minimal cost and effort,’ says Julia. ‘Add in the right soft furnishings or paint your existing accessories and you’ve got an up-to-date look in no time.’
Faced with a bland, white bedroom, Julia took inspiration from Dulux’s Repair palette (one of four palettes in the 2019 Colour Forecast) to give this bedroom some much-needed personality and interest.
‘The room was a blank canvas,’ says Julia. ‘While it had lovely features such as wooden floorboards, white walls and shutters, it was crying out for some character.’
Julia knew the deep greenish blues and hints of cinnamon from this palette would be perfect for creating a warm, welcoming feel in this bedroom.
Here’s Julia's surefire tips for a bedroom makeover:
1. When choosing colours, think about the mood you want to create. I chose greeny-blues and accents of cinnamon and terracotta here because I wanted to create a cosy, refreshing vibe.
2. Start with an artwork: Take your colour cues from a key painting or print to give your room scheme an intentional feel.
3. Add energy to the space with one or two jolts of an unexpected colour. And remember; contrast is key.
4. Have fun and experiment – remember, if you change your mind about a colour, you can always paint over it. To feel confident with your choice, always start with a sample pot or A4-size swatch so you can live with the colour for a few days without fully committing.
5. If you’re adding white to the mix, choose one with similar undertones as your brights.Think beyond walls – use paint to revamp old furniture and accessories too. You may just find yourself falling right back in love with them!
To learn more about Dulux’s Get the Look series with Julia Green, the 2019 Dulux Colour Forecast or to buy Dulux Sample Pots visit: www.dulux.com.au
Dulux Australia. Stylist: Julia Green. Photographer: Armelle Habib