A welcome winter warmer.
2 tblspn olive oil
1 large onion (200g), finely chopped
700g beef mince
5g beef stock cube, crumbled
1 1/2 cups boiling water
29g sachet brown onion & garlic grace mix
400g sliced mushrooms in butter sauce
2 tblspn tomato paste
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
500g frozen peas
500g butter, chopped
1. Lightly oil a shallow, round ovenproof dish.
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring until soft. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a spoon, until browned. Dissolve stock cube in boiling water. Add to pan with gravy sachet, mushrooms in butter sauce and paste. Bring to boil. Gently boil, uncovered, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
3. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Brush edge of dish with some of the egg. Place pastry sheets on top at different angles over filling. Press edges to seal. Trim and discard scraps. Cut three small slits in top. Brush with remaining egg.
4. Cook in a hot oven (200c) for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
5. To make mushy peas, cook peas in a large saucepan of boiling water for about 4 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer peas to a food processor with butter. Process until mushy, not not pureed.
6. Serve hot pie topped with mushy peas.