One baby is dead and another left with brain damage after a Sydney hospital administered the wrong type of gas.
Sonya Ghanem and her husband Youssef's newborn son was given a lethal dose of nitrous oxide gas instead of oxygen before he died at the Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital.
Ghanem's eldest daughter, Chantal, told The Australian the hospital admitted to making a mistake.
'They said 'it's basically our fault. I lost it when they said that. I just wanted to kill them'.
New South Wales Health Minister Jillian Skinner said in a statement a machine in the neo-natal resuscitation unit had been incorrectly installed in July last year.
However, the error was only discovered last Thursday when a pediatrician raised their concerns.
Skinner said she was ‘profoundly sorry’ and the operating theatre in question remains closed.
‘I deeply regret these families have suffered through such a devastating error,’ she said.
‘NSW Health will do all it can to support them.’